Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Lasting Community and the Airport

I've been traveling a lot lately which has left me alone for many hours. Most of my time has been spent in the airport, sitting and waiting. I have been interested in seeing the people who pass through the worlds holding zone.

People who travel seem mostly unhappy. Flying, for most, is nothing but a means to an end. I wish there was a more enjoyable means of transportation. I wish people were happier.

It amazing the anonymity that traveling provides. It's frustrating to see businessmen, civilians and the like passing each other, just inches away from true community. I'm not suggesting that a one hour conversation in the airport is lasting community, but it could be a start.

I would like to know people better. People who are not like me. I am around those people all the time, but I'm too scared to talk to them. It seems like somethings got to give.

3 comments:

  1. I am with Anna... TALK TO THEM.

    When I flew a few months back I ended up sitting beside some guys in the terminal that were very unlike me but I enjoyed their company and getting to know about them.

    {Turns out one was a movie producer and the others play for some trippy band called the oceanographic explorer, and now want to come play at my retirement community=) haha...}

    ReplyDelete
  2. MichaelMichael-Michael. In exchange for a hit from Russia, can I have a new post, please?

    ReplyDelete