Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Celebration of Pants

Most of the time I have a difficult time wrapping my head around things (metaphorically, in this instance). One of those things (at this time) is the holiday season. I love the holidays, don't get me wrong, I guess I'm still trying to figure out what we are all celebrating. I know, on a personal level, what Christmas means to me, but what is it as a collective culture?

I've finished a lot of my shopping for the season, and I feel like the reason I celebrate has been cheapened by stuff. I know that for me, I don't get a new pair of pants for Christmas and think, "Oh, pants! This makes me love Jesus more." I usually just think, "Oh, pants! I'm glad someone gave these to me, because I'm too cheap to buy them on my own."

Don't get me wrong people. Please buy me presents. I'm just saying that celebrating the birth of Jesus and getting generic, made-in-China trinkets, seems like a non sequitur.

I'm certainly pro celebration-of-Jesus, I'm just not sure if I'm pro my-current-form-of-celebration-of-Jesus.

1 comment: