Monday, March 1, 2010

Bad Words

Lately I have been saying more offensive things than usual. I don't necessarily think I'm being offensive, but more people are offended by my words. I wonder why that's happening?

This "offensiveness" has been happening when the person I'm talking with and I have a "deal," or so I think. Generally, I start a conversation - an innocent conversation. As the conversation progresses, something is said to make me think the other person is open to joke or sarcasm. I test my hypothesis with a few light stabs - everything seems fine. Then, in the course of our conversation, some biting remark comes to my mind. I think to myself, "we've been joking for some time, surely they won't be offended by this comment." I spew the venom - low and behold they are offended. Awkward silence ensues. Then, I have to go on explaining that I was joking, I didn't mean what I said to be taken literally, etc.

I'm working on controlling my tongue, rather, what passes through it. I don't know why I thought I could say anything I want without any social ramifications. Maybe you're the problem.

2 comments: